Crayon Candles. A Pretty Merely Non A Functional Project.


Every twelvemonth for Valentine's hateful solar daytime my fille joins me to create a projection I tin percentage amongst all of y'all together with she tin give her friends for Valentine.
Cake pops together with clay charms were done inward previous years, together with when she talked to me virtually her plans for this twelvemonth I was actually excited because it was something I convey never done. Candles!

She explained to me she had seen many videos on how to brand candles using crayons, that she loved the colors together with it was something she wanted to brand to give to her friends. Well, I trammel correct inward :)
An immediate trip to Michael's together with the Dollar shop followed.  We got wax, scents, wicks, drinking glass votives... All inward all it was similar 30 something bucks spent together with nosotros hurried dorsum habitation to commence working.


We were happy to get rid  use the many crayons we've accumulated throughout the years.

She took accuse of the project, I was only photographing  the process.  I was surprised when I saw her using Super gum to attach the wick to the votive. I couldn't assist but mean value of how expensive would it hold upward if all the candle makers utilization this form of gum for the same purpose. She re-assured me it was security together with fifty-fifty amend than anything else because that form of gum was pretty potent (yeah, I know).

The crayons got broken together with each color was placed within a newspaper cup.

The large bar of wax nosotros bought had to hold upward broken into trivial pieces, well, nosotros didn't utilization all the bar, non fifty-fifty a quarter of it.  The bars of scent were also broken downward into smaller chunks.

Wax together with scent pieces were added to the crayons.  When I asked for how much wax together with scent to crayon ratio she was using .... Her reply was "Oh, it doesn't matter, the videos said a duet of chunks are OK"  hmmm really?

I permit her to continue, after all SHE was inward charge! But a minute after when she told me it was fourth dimension to melt all the ingredients inward the microwave,  I said NO! I exactly pictured myself cleaning wax off  my microwave walls together with I had to halt that from happening, thus the stove was seat to skillful utilization ;)

One color at a time, waiting for it to dry out together with thus onto the side yesteryear side color.

Here she was waiting patiently, snapping close-ups of the whole process.

Well, I was happy, the votives looked actually overnice :)

The pictures couldn't hold upward whatever better!

But wait! she said.  I desire to odor them, let's lit at to the lowest degree one, together with thus nosotros did. And hither comes the most
of import lesson nosotros learned:


Our beautiful candles didn't lit! :-(
We couldn't fifty-fifty odor them, the wick burnt out means also soon.
You tin clearly meet the deviation against a regular candle votive.

After looking for answers this is what I found:
Crayons are colored amongst pigments, together with those pigments don't dissolve inward the wax, they exactly float around. As the wax melts, together with is carried through the wick to the flame, the pigments clog the wick :(
The best means to color wax is yesteryear using dye, it dissolves into the wax together with won't clog the wick.

Kind of upsetting :( but oh well, nosotros learned lots ;)


You tin depository fiscal establishment gibe other Valentine projects that convey worked :)

Cake Pops
Clay Charms

Heart Pillow

Upcycled Heart Art
Love Wall Art