Diy Fake Stained Drinking Glass Front End Door Sidelights


What started out every bit a temporary solution 15 years agone has lasted through the years.  Our front end door has sidelights too a transom.  For privacy argue I used Gallery Glass to created imitation stained glass.  I did a leafage too floral which at this betoken felt actually dated to me.  I started pricing novel front end doors.  For a novel door alongside sidelights too a transom, I'm looking at $7,000-$8,000 installed.  Plus I get got detailed moulding to a greater extent than or less the front end door which would get got to live removed inwards lodge to install a novel door, which would thus request painters to come upwards inwards too repaint the foyer.  Yeah...I'm non giving that mouse a cookie simply yet.

You tin come across inwards this photograph that originally I did non purpose the Gallery Glass on the transom.
The best affair most Gallery Glass is that it lastly forever left untouched, but if yous desire to take it, it scrapes correct off.

 Okay...it doesn't scrape right off.  Three hours too 2 sliced fingers later, it all scraped off.   In the meantime I had some left over Gallery Glass, but non plenty to practise a whole project.  I wasn't fifty-fifty certain they made it anymore.  I'm happy to tell that I works life it at air conditioning Moore thus for nether $20 I was able to completely restyle my front end door.  I designed a pattern based on all of my favorite "new door" designs.  I taped the pattern to the exterior of the front end door too thus traced the pattern using the imitation lead.

The ready-made Pb comes entirely inwards black.  I used a Sharpie pen to pigment the leading gold. 

I used generally clear pigment too the etching pigment alongside simply a trivial gold.  It dries inwards a duet of hours too cures inwards a calendar week or so.  I tried several things alongside the clear too scraped it off a few times until I finally settled on using my fingers to brand swirls to practise the number I wanted. By the way, it scrapes off super easily too inwards large pieces if yous get got it off inside the commencement lx minutes which allowed me fourth dimension to figure out just the pattern I wanted on the clear.  


 Here is the finished door.  I beloved how it came out.  I originally designed a pattern for the transom that was horizontal, but it didn't await correct alongside white moulding cutting it up.  I had to become alongside what made feel too get got the pattern alive inside the white moulding lines. 

For less than $20, I completely changed the await of the front end door.  So much to a greater extent than updated too beautiful.  So the agency I come across it I saved over $7,000.  Awesome!

Can't hold off to take heed what yous think.

Have a nifty day.

-Judy